Oakwood’s Upper School, consisting of grades 8th-12th grades, is the capstone to a student’s preparation for academic independence and strong character that has been developing in Oakwood’s Lower and Middle Schools. With the guidance of an outstanding faculty, our Upper School students develop writing, researching, debating, and critical and creative thinking skills, as well as a passion for life-long learning. Experiential and differentiated learning ensures each student in the Upper School has the potential to succeed. In the classroom and beyond, Oakwood Upper School students are encouraged and guided to cultivate wisdom, creativity and strong social skills that will prepare them for a future that is constantly changing.
Along with the success and importance of our college placement, Oakwood looks beyond college in the teaching of its students. The Upper School desires for its students to become game changers of the future - individuals who help to make the world a better place, whether through social activism, medical discoveries, or cultural engagement. Oakwood students will have a lasting impact - and the flame is ignited here.
Highlights of our academic program include:
- Strong college guidance beginning in 9th grade and utilizing Naviance
- Experiential learning a mainstay dedicated to living your learning off campus through international
and domestic travel opportunities, internships and independent studies
- Student support crucial at this point in a student's life - our teachers DO NOT let student slip
through the cracks with a strong advisory system, Honor Code, and individualized attention
- An excellent learning environment of small classes where students want to learn and teachers
provide and guide a challenging reason to learn
- Strong fine arts, athletics, clubs and honor societies for service, collaboration, leadership and passion
- Innovation Lab