Continuous Education & COVID-19 Updates
While there is no way to predict what the fall will hold, we assure you that Oakwood is committed to a goal of safely opening school in person for the 2020-21 school year. With that goal in mind, we must also be flexible and responsive to variables outside of our control in order to address the residual effects of COVID-19 and social distancing. As a result, we are gathering information, conducting research, and working through a multitude of scenarios so that we will be positioned as well or better than any other school in the area to safely deliver continuous in-person education as long as governmental stay-at-home orders are not in place. For example:
- We have sufficient space on campus and small enough class sizes for students to participate in a typical in-person school day even if desks are required to be 6 feet apart.
- We have the ability to enter and exit most classrooms through exterior doors in Founders Hall, Joyner Hall, and Monk Hall.
- We are exploring ways to increase utilization of outdoor spaces for classroom use.
- We have already purchased a professional electrostatic backpack sprayer to disinfect all four buildings on a regular basis.
- We have increased our janitorial budget to allow for more frequent and thorough sanitizing and disinfecting of campus.
- We have purchased numerous hand sanitizer dispensers that will be installed throughout the school as well as several portable ones for the entrances.
- Our new daily schedule minimizes classroom transitions.
- We are establishing new policies and procedures related to health, wellness, and safety.
- Faculty and staff training to prepare for various scenarios.