PK3 and PK4
Get started on your child's amazing journey at The Oakwood School where our graduates leave their mark demonstrating character, integrity, service, academic achievement, leadership, and inspiration.
Dear Future Oakwood Eagle,
Welcome to The Oakwood School! I am thrilled to announce that beginning in the fall 2021-2022 academic year, the Lower School will be offering an accredited PK3 and PK4 program for three and four-year-old children aligned with our mission to instill in our students the strength of character, the creativity, and the wisdom to make a difference in the world.
Our professional and experienced preschool teachers will provide Oakwood’s youngest students with a nurturing and organized environment in which to develop socially, emotionally, and academically as they begin their educational journey and become lifelong learners.
In class, each child will be filled with wonder and knowledge and make connections through exploration and discovery. Instruction will be balanced between intentional instruction with child-centered learning, differentiated learning, and daily routines that develop key social skills and emotional controls, value individual differences, and empower choice in self-directed activities.
Realizing that many parents of our younger students are choosing between preschool and year-round daycare, both PK3 and PK4 will offer a year-round option with the summer focused on fun and enrichment activities as well as an optional early morning drop off at 7:30 am and Extended Day after school care until 6:00 pm including most school holidays.
I encourage you to get started on the first step of your child's academic journey with our PK3 and PK4 programs. Please contact Kelly Robbins, Admissions Director, at (252) 931-0760 ext 1103 for more information.
Dan Quesnel, Interim Lower School Coordinator
Research shows that a whole-child approach to education—one where children have opportunities to develop not only math and literacy skills but also social–emotional, physical, and cognitive skills—is developmentally appropriate and better prepares children for life well beyond their time in a classroom.
Areas of Focus
- Approaches to Learning: Learning problem-solving, world exploration, and greater independence.
- Creative Arts: Learning to express feelings and ideas through music, movement, and visual arts.
- Language: Effective communication developed through explorations of conversation skills and vocabulary.
- Literacy: Learning early reading and writing alongside phonological awareness and alphabet knowledge.
- Logic & Reasoning: Learning to solve problems, sequence, and think critically.
- Early Math: Learning about numbers, sorting, ordering and patterns; learning addition, subtraction, measuring, and graphing.
- Nature & Science: Learning to interact with and process the natural and physical world to observe, describe, predict, and gather data.
- Social Studies: Learning about their world by developing an understanding of themselves, their families, and their communities.
- Physical Development/Health: Learning to control and coordinate large and small muscle movements; developing an awareness of health and safety concepts.
- Social-Emotional Development: Learning to interact with others while building self-awareness and emotional awareness; learning to understand relationships with family, friends, and the community.
Enrollment: 16 max (per class)
Ratio: 8:1 or less (one lead teacher and one assistant)
Accreditation: SAIS and Cognia
Curriculum: Creative Curriculum
Full Day 10-month Program: Starting Fall 2021 from 8:15 am to 2:45 pm (Monday through Friday). See 2021-22 school calendar here.
Full Day 12-month Program: Same as 10-month program with the addition of an optional PK3/4 Summer Enrichment Program starting the summer of 2022 from 8:15 am to 2:45 pm (Monday through Friday).
PK3/4 Extended Day Before and After School Care (optional):
- Early Morning Drop Off: 7:30 am
- Extended Day: 2:45 to 6:00 pm (plus most school holidays 7:30 am to 6:00 pm)
- Available during school year and summers. Visit Extended Day for more information.
Tuition: Refer to Schedule of Tuition and Fees under Tuition and Value tab. Financial assistance is available.
- PK3 (3 years old as of August 31)
- PK4 (4 years old as of August 31)
- Assessment includes screening, potty trained, socially connected, physically calm, and cognitively organized
Take the next step and email Admissions Director, Kelly Robbins, or call (252) 931-0760 ext 1103, to schedule a private tour!
Why Choose PK3 and PK4 at Oakwood?
When you invest in a high-quality PK3 and PK4 program at The Oakwood School, you can feel assured that your child is well cared for, is enjoying activities and making friends — and is building the knowledge, skills, and confidence to do well in kindergarten.
- Opportunity for growth
- Prepares them for Kindergarten
- Promotes social and emotional development
- Can make choices and learn to take care of themselves and others
- Promotes language and cognitive skills
- Nurtures a child's curiosity
- Boosts pre-math and literacy skills and helps develop motor skills